Thursday, October 29, 2009

Jim Gaskowski's Farm Boy Serial #003


-------------------------------

jim:

i was wondering what you used to make the clear ends on your gas tank, are they plastic of some kind or are they glass?

thanks
chuck

------------------------------

The glass is flat mineral glass watch crystals, (Plexiglas crazes after a while). Cost about $ 9.50 for a set of 3. You can get it any dia. (goes up by .004" or .1mm sizes) and thickness - 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, and 3.0mm. The 3.0mm thickness equals .120" so if you make a 1/16" recess in the tank flanges you can put a nice thin "O" ring inside for a seal. Never had one leak yet!

 I was looking for some way to put a small neat fuel gauge on a tank, then it dawned on me to make the whole tank a gauge. I have a problem with filling the tanks. I always try to get 2 1/2 oz. of fuel in a 2 oz. tank and as many times as I've tried it, it still doesn't fit!

Here's the site where I get mine.

http://www.ofrei.com/thick-mineral-glass.htm

There are even more sizes if you look around the site. It's a large site and you can get lost quickly.

Jim

---------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment